Monday, June 12, 2017

Interview with Lois O’Hara

We had the pleasure of interviewing one of our brilliant vendors, Lois O’Hara. We love her style of printing along with her beautifully bold colour combinations, we just had to get under the skin of what her work is about. Read below to find out more.

P: Hi Lois, thanks for answering these questions for us. Let’s begin with the basics. Who are you, where do you come from and what is your background?

L: I am Lois O’Hara, a visual artist from Brighton. I have studied art at school, college and recently graduated from Arts University Bournemouth where I studied Illustration.

P: How would you describe your work?

L: I am interested in capturing the fluidity of an image that is moving and have an obscure obsession with dripping paint. I enjoy printing using fluorescent colours and painting in black and white. Often, my work is based on important and emotional topics but I try to express these ideas in a positive and interesting way as I try to maintain a positive outlook on life.

P: What drives your work?

L: I want as many people as possible to see my work and knowing that there is no better feeling than seeing a piece of art that opens your eyes is what drives me.

P: Totally agree! So what does your work represent?

L: Although my work is abstract, the themes that I choose to work on are often quite relatable. I am highly interesting in producing work that relates to psychology. I recently produced a series of artworks that were based around memory loss and I visualised how music can help bring it back. Before that, I explored the journey of falling in love.

P: What do you think of the current design industry today?

L: I particularly like the way artists and illustrators are getting more chance to work with brands. Recently, I saw that Tim Penfold is working closely with Adidas. I think it is great that there are more murals being designed all over the world. These collaborations for me are very inspiring.

P: What are you currently working on at the moment?

L: I am about to start a new project which explores the dripping paint theme in more depth and on a larger scale. I want to play around with contrasts of black and bright colours to express how we can feel happy and sad at one time. I am also trying to find a sponsor for a possible solo exhibition in New York.

P: How exciting! What are you plans for the future?

L: I hope to see my dripping paint designs all over the world!

Discover O’Hara’s products available on Department Store below!



No comments:

Post a Comment