Monday, October 17, 2016

Printing unique paper for printing projects

I love experimenting with printmaking processes. I don’t always know how I will end up using the printed papers that I make.

Marbling paper for printing projects

I tried a variety of marbling products, the Suminigashi kit, alum coated paper with waterproof india ink and thin watery acrylics on a liquid starch bath.

I found that the type of paper is very important. The best results were on rice paper and mulberry paper. Most of my other papers gave a faint impression or did not absorb the inks.

Marbled rice paper

I did so many papers that I figured out a few things:

  • I like a simpler modern style of marks
  • Do 2 or 3 colors max
  • Use a big juicy water color brush
  • It holds and therefore can release more ink
  • Get clean water often
  • Skim of the top
  • Let the water get very still
  • Use very diluted detergent as a dispersant

Some of my goals were to use the papers that I already have in the studio, get a richly pigmented impression and to learn what I like. So for me it is rice paper, the suminagshi kit and a big pointed water color brush. I worked small 5 x 7 and used a foam tray as my container.

If you have piles of paper with potential and would like some guidance turning them into some printed gifts, then check out the new course, Printed Gifts, coming soon.

The post Printing unique paper for printing projects appeared first on Linda Germain.



from Linda Germain http://www.lindagermain.com/2016/10/printing-unique-paper-printing-projects/

All about prints

No comments:

Post a Comment